Wednesday, November 10, 2010

New Year's Resolution

I realized something last night over dinner: I am turning THIRTY in a week and a half. I’ve known for several years that I will be turning thirty this year but it somehow crept up on me none-the-less. What a shock!

As I was brushing my teeth last night, I decided to make a new year’s resolution for this next year of my life. If I had to guess, I would say I’ve spent 85% of my life rushing. Not because I’m late, I’m actually very punctual. But for some reason, I do everything in fast forward. If I’m brushing my teeth, I’m trying to multitask and put on my shoes, find jewelry and ½ a dozen other things so I don’t “waste time.” If I’m driving, I rush. Even if it means I’m 15 minutes early to something, I still rush to get there. When I watch a tv show, I get up during every commercial and load the dishwasher, change the laundry, lay out clothes for the next day, just to “do” something.

Its been this way as long as I can remember but I want to find a way to de-program that out of my life this next year. Maybe having a baby will help. Maybe it will make it harder. I don’t know. But I do know that rushing just makes me uptight and feeling like there is always something else I “should” be doing to make my time worthwhile.

Kyle is the exact opposite and I hope to somehow learn from his unhurried ways. I am convinced that life would be more pleasant if I was not in a constant rush to get through it.

No comments: