Monday, June 16, 2014

Sugar Detox

I've been doing some research on sugar and how it causes an inflammatory response in our bodies. So I started to reduce my sugar intake: I swapped sugary lattes for coffee with cream and 1 packet of raw sugar. I stopped drinking pop for the most part (still would have 1 or 2 a month). But after reading more, I am seeing that sugar is in everything (spaghetti sauce, mayonnaise, cereal, etc.). I started making more of an effort to cut out sugar (reducing fruit consumption, eliminating any processed grains, no white flour). It hasn't been as hard as I imagined, except for wanting pizza every day, which isn't a new thing, I want pizza every day anyway! But after talking to some friends and reading more, I decided it it time to really take this seriously, so I'm starting with a 3 day cold-turkey detox, and will start adding in different foods after the three days. I went to the grocery store after the boys went to bed last night (Kyle was home, so they weren't alone!!) and got the supplies I think I'll need.

The first three days, I'll abstain from added sugar in all its forms (raw sugar, honey, agave), along with any grains, beans and all dairy. I'm most sad about the dairy and think it will be what I add back first, but wanting to read more before I make that call. Fruit might be a better option, but really, I don't know!

The reason for doing the detox is to see if it helps with the chronic pain I've lived with for the last 20 years, so I'm logging my "complaints" to see if there is any change.

Complaints:
chronic low back pain
chronic muscle pain (shoulders, back, quads, calves)
joint pain (knees, back, hips, occasionally wrists and jaw)
brain fog (trouble concentrating, memory recall)
occasional migraines
allergies

I don't expect all these symptoms to improve after three days of no sugar, but wanted a complete list to reference later.

I found a few articles that had some recipes and menus, so this is what I'll be eating today:
Breakfast: 2 egg omelette with onions, mushrooms and red and yellow peppers
Snack: 1/2 cup pistachios (in shell), carrots, hummus, bell peppers
Lunch: Spinach salad with red onion, tomatoes, chopped grilled chicken
Snack: almonds, bell peppers
Dinner: Spinach salad, sliced steak, mushrooms, roasted broccoli and cauliflower

We'll see how it all shakes out!

No comments: